Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Thoughts on what I have learned in school so far

 First I want to apologize for the time since my last blog.  I have been so busy with school and life in general.  After thinking long and hard on what to blog about I have decided to talk about my first course in my certifications.  I have been studying food combining by the hygienic leader Dr. Shelton  (http://www.getwellstaywellamerica.com/Shelton/SheltonTimelinePg1.htm). I have been reading about the reasons behind food combining and how our digestive track works.  Here is a brief rundown on food combining made easy.  

                      THE BASIC RULES OF FOOD COMBINING

1. Do not eat proteins and starches together. Your body requires an acid base to digest proteins and an alkaline base to digest starches. Proteins and starches combine well with green, leafy vegetables and non-starchy vegetables, but they do not combine well with each other.

2. Generally fruits should be eaten alone or with other fruits. If fruits seem too sweet, then eat a handful of nuts (80% fruit, 20% nuts). Fruits digest so quickly that by the time they reach your stomach, they are already partially digested. If they arc combined with other foods, they will rot and ferment.

3. Melons digest faster than any other food. Therefore, you should never eat melons with any other food including other fruits. Always eat melons on their own.

4. Do not mix acid and/or sub-acid fruits with sweet fruits at the same meal. Acid fruits, such as grapefruits, pineapple, and strawberries, can be mixed with sub-acid fruits, such as apples, grapes, and peaches, but neither of these categories can be mixed with sweet fruits, such as bananas, dates, or raisins.

5. Eat only four to six different fruits or vegetables at one meal as a fruit meal.

6. Fats and oils combine with everything (except fruits) but should be used in limited amounts because while they won’t inhibit digestion, they will slow it down.

7. Wait the following lengths of time between meals that don’t combine:
a. Two hours after eating fruit.
b. Three hours after eating starches.
c. Four hours after eating proteins.

                     “FIX IT” FOR FOOD COMBINING

· If you eat PROTEIN and STARCH during the same meal, eat some legumes.
· If you eat NUTS, eat an acid fruit with them.
· If you still eat DAIRY, make sure to eat an acid fruit.
· If you've overloaded on PASTA, eat an apple the next morning.
· If you’ve eaten too much PROTEIN, eat papaya the next morning.
· If you’ve, eaten too much SUGAR, eat grapes the next morning.
· If you’ve eaten too much SALT, eat watermelon the next morning.

You can find the beginners guide here:  http://www.trustedhands.com/content/fcbeg.pdf

     As with anything I have found that there are people that don't support this method.  I am still on the fence as to the importance of this but having an open mind I am continuing my studies and putting food combining to practice in my own life.  My whole journey to reverse my diabetes was an eclectic combination of all the information I learned.  I don't believe there is a one size fits all plan.    I have studied so many different people, information and diets that I have taken the best from each one and made it my own.  I myself am a Veganish, raw food, plant based,whole foods, juicing kind of gal.  This is what I hope to bring to my clients/patients if you will when I start counseling this summer.  With that being said I am considering when I receive my certifications, before becoming a doctor, going to the Integrative Nutrition school (http://www.integrativenutrition.com/lp/health-and-nutrition-school-2/what-is-integrative-nutrition) so that I can bring to the table a wealth of healing principles while I study to become a doctor. This is a book I highly recommend reading!  (http://issuu.com/integrativenutrition/docs/rosenthal_complete_pdf?mode=embed)
     I hope you have found this information helpful and will check back for my next blog on weight loss and the diet traps and to follow a blog on exercise.  I have so much information I want to share with you and I hope you learn from it and enjoy it.  

      To borrow a closing from a health pioneer....

"Yours for Health, Truth and Medical Liberty",

Cherise

 

1 comment: